Sunday, July 22, 2012

REVIEW: Maybelline Color Tattoos

Maybelline came out with "Color Tattoos" a few months ago. I have seen the color tattoos featured in a number of hauls but only now just picked up my very first one. I opted for the "Bad to the Bronze" color because it is a safe color and I know I am more likely to use it rather than the purple or green one. They come in an array of 10 different colors though.

Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
So I basically just picked it up without knowing much about the product.  In looking up more information about the color tattoos I found out that it a cream gel eyeshadow that is long lasting.  Maybelline advertises that it has 24 hour intensity with vibrant color that doesn't fade.  We shall see!


My first impression is that these are very much like the MAC Paint Pots.  I own a few of the paint pots which is why I wasn't in a big rush to buy the color tattoos.  They both essentially do the same thing.  They start off as cream eyeshadows that dry into a nice powder form.  I'm not a big fan of cream eyeshadows by themselves but I do use them as a base color from time to time.  The consistency of the color tattoos and paint pots are pretty similar.  I didn't notice a big difference in how they felt.     

Bad to the Bronze color swatch! Very shimmery!

The one big thing I am interested in testing out with this product is their 24 hour intensity claim.  Now as I mentioned before if I use a cream eyeshadow I usually use it as a base for another similar color.  I find that it helps make the powder eyeshadow stick better (especially when using loose pigments).  It also helps to build up the color to look more vibrant.  For the color tattoos I wanted to do a 24 hour color challenge to see just how intense the color looks after I have worn it 24 hours.  Unfortunately, the pictures I took of my eye throughout the day did not come out very well :( But I did keep on my eye-makeup for 24 hours (slept with it on and everything!).  Using an eye primer, the color tattoo stayed in place for 12 hours without it looking faded or creasing!  I also rubbed my eye and there was no residue on my finger.  After a full night's sleep (24 hours later) the tattoo was looking a little faded but it was still on with no creases.

To sum it up:   

Pros: Easy to find in drugstores, affordable, lasts long without creasing as advertised.
Cons: Limited colors compared to MAC paint pots, tend to look a little dry
Would I repurchase? Probably not unless I really needed one of the bright colors for a base.  However, it is a decent cheaper alternative to the MAC paint pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment